CPE Twin Turbo System "EVOLUTION SERIES" - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Chat · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

CPE Twin Turbo System "EVOLUTION SERIES"

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old July 28th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #1

Twinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 points

As most of you know, there are a few threads in progress for TT builds on the forum. I am thrilled to tell you that there is a new system coming out and wanted to add another to the current list to help enlighten your decision for those leaning towards the TT route.

Background Info

I sold my Roe Supercharger and am in the midst of testing a newly revised side mount twin turbo system called the "Evolution Series" developed by Paolo Castellano of Castellano Performance Engineering. I initially spoke with Paolo a while back when I was working a fuel issue that I was having and asking recommendations on how I should set it up. He offered plenty of advice on the pro's/con's and how he had modified units in the past. After a few more discussions with him and then posting my run with the built up corvette (that I could barely keep up with due to my limits of power because my altitude and starvation for air) Paolo mentioned this new system he had in development and asked if I was interested. We talked about it and he gave me my options, asked me how much power I wanted to make, and any questions that I may have about anything and everything. From a "first time" customer perspective, his service has been nothing other than terrific and very professional. This man definitely knows what he's talking about and puts a lot of thought into his systems and builds them to last. He's sent me everything from dyno's, video's, and a list of customers he's had the pleasure in dealing with. He's answered all my questions and if he doesn't know something he does his research and finds the answers. Doesn't get any better than this!

The system...neat thing about this setup vs my prior setup is that I am making room for my desire for more power in the future. I will be running somewhere from 1000 to 1200 rwhp, but Paolo is giving me the capability for it to be turned up to 1400+ rwhp if the need arises. As far as what stock items I'll have to upgrade with that amount of power, I will most likely have to upgrade the clutch and possibly the axles, but will put that on my list of future mods or upgrade if the need requires. My Gen 2 will be the first to try out this awesome system that is coming out in the next couple of months.

Details on my vehicle:

1998 Viper GTS
Fully built motor built done myself and with all clearance specs from Greg Good.
(H-beam rods, 13cc Dished JE Pistons, Billet Mains, 8.9:1 CR, Total Seal Rings)
Stock transmission
Stock Axles
Stock Clutch (Soon to be upgraded to either Spec 3+ or Spec Sintered Twin Disc)
Quaife Differential with 3.07 Gears
Mopar Rear Differential Cooling system
Stock Full Ported heads by Greg Good with upgraded Valves to 2.02 intake / 1.60 exhaust
Greg Good Custom Grind Solid Roller Camshaft
T&D Roller Rockers
B&B Catback system
170 degree thermostat
Roe Cat delete
AEM 1500U Engine Management System
ID1000 injectors
RSI Hanger with three 255 Walbro's
Gen 3 Intake manifold and Stock throttle Body
Will be using E-85 and testing 91 Oct with Methanol

Highlights on the system

This is an "Evolution" of the 'already proven' Castellano Performance Engineering side mount turbo system that has made anywhere from 600 RWHP to over 1300 RWHP designed, prototyped and built in 2007.

This 1304.85 RWHP dyno graph was achieved with a set of cast 66mm compressor wheels and a smaller exhaust wheel than what is available in the new system

A set of the Comp Turbo billet compressor wheels with the extended tip technology will flow a bit more than 15% more air than what these 66ís flowed.

1. OEM-Style packaging placing the turbos up high in between the block and the frame
2. Gravity drained system that will not require the use of a scavenge pump setup.
3. OEM-Style proprietary super compact cast iron turbo manifolds with integrated wastegate flange that come ceramic coated with lifetime warranty.
4. A liquid to air intercooler setup that will not interfere with how the Dodge engineers designed the airflow to go through the front of the car for the cooling system to work as it was intended.
5. No removal of front bumper required.
6 . No cutting of the core support.
7. No cutting of the fiberglass bumper reinforcement.
8. Numbers 5-7 ensure the simplest installation and the ability to return the car completely to stock.
9. Made available to you in a Series 1, 2 and 3.
10. Designed specifically for Gen 2, 3, and 4 Vipers.
11. This system is scalable allowing for small turbos for ultra quick spool and the ability to make 600-800 RWHP with relatively low boost and conservative tuning, or larger turbos that can make 1400+ RWHP with the wick turned up.
12. On the hot side of the equation, this system has the shortest piping from the cylinder head to the turbo retaining more heat and kinetic energy for greater efficiency and quicker spool and less overall surface area for radiant heat emission.
13. On the cold side of the equation, this system also has the shortest path from the turbo to the intercooler since the piping out of the turbo does not have to go all through the core support to a front mount intercooler and then back through the core support then to the throttle body(s).
14. Numbers 12-13 translate to shorter piping and less bends: This can only mean higher efficiency, faster turbo spool and a quicker time to full torque for any given turbo sizing and engine combination.
15. Capability to utilize a .96 AR T-4 exhaust housing and larger exhaust wheels as compared to other available DIY Twin Turbo options will allow more power made on the same boost since the peak torque number from any given boost level will be maintained higher into the RPM range yielding a higher RWHP number at the same boost level.

If we consider this equation, HP = TQ X RPM/5252 and look at this graph,

So for example if a Gen 2 Twin Turbo Viper makes 796 RWHP and 782 RWTQ, and is still making 729 RWTQ @ 5800 RPM, the peak torque number has only decreased by 6.77%.

Lower back pressure and higher system efficiency make it possible to make more HP than TQ while still maintaining a safe pump gas tune. Other TT otions that have smaller exhaust wheels and exhaust housings have torque curves that fall off significantly more quickly need more boost to make the same power. Minimizing back pressure increases engine longevity and allows for a greater margin of safety given any tuning parameters and/or engine build combinations.

Here is another example of how larger exhaust housings and wheels combined with the super compact side mount design and layout exemplifies efficiency:

144.96 MPH time slip

This car with the Castellano Performance Engineering side mount twin turbo with a bone stock motor on pump gas on 12 PSI trapped 144.96 MPH!

The owner said, I just ran the car and did not pop the hood all day long!Ē

This car also ran the Texas Mile in 2010 and hit the rev limiter @ 213 MPH running 93 octane pump gas 1000í from the finish line. With the proper gearing this stock 1997 GTS coupe could have conservatively trapped about 220 MPH at the Texas Mile!

Power Level Examples for Series-1 System (Based on a conservative tune)

Cast piston Gen 2: 650-750 RWHP on 93 pump depending on turbo exhaust side sizing.
Forged piston Gen 2: 750-800 RWHP on 93 pump(~10 PSI).
Gen 3: 700-800 RWHP on 93 pump.(6-9PSI)
Gen 4: 700RWHP on 93 pump(~3.5 PSI)

The Series-1 smallest compressor and exhaust wheel sizing options will allow anywhere from 1150-1200 RWHP for the pair maxed out with appropriate engine build, fuel system and driveline upgrades!

Power Level Examples for Series 2 System (Based on a proper tune)

Cast piston Gen 2 800-950 RWHP on E-85 or 93 pump and water-methanol injection with appropriate fuel system and driveline upgrades

Forged piston Gen 2 1000+ RWHP on E-85(15-16 PSI) with appropriate fuel system and driveline upgrades.

The Series-2 mid-range compressor and exhaust wheel sizing options will allow for 1200-1400 RWHP for the pair maxed out!

One of the original Castellano Performance Engineering side mount twin turbo systems installed on a cast piston RT/10 was driven 660 miles with vigorous speed tests without any change in the carís leak down values measured before the turbo system was installed. On 93 pump, water-methanol injection and about 10 PSI, this RT/10 datalogged a 100-150 MPH of 4.5 seconds which is .5 seconds faster than a Bugatti Veyron

Another Castellano Performance Engineering side mount twin turbo system was installed and run on a 2001 Cast Piston GTS with 15 PSI, 93 pump gas and water-meth for over 3000 miles. No changes in leak down numbers from before the turbo system was installed were observed.

The Series-3 system will allow for up to 1600 RWHP for the pair maxed out with the proper motor build, transmission and ECU tuning)

General idea of whats included in each series:
-Proprietary cast turbo manifolds with lifetime warranty that are designed for the 1600-1800 degree EGT temps that are characteristic to turbo setups
- Tial Wastegates and BOV
- All hot side and cold side piping, couplers and clamps
- Custom liquid to air intercooler setup
- IC comes with water tank and pump for easy installation
-SCT with base tune and remote tuning by Michael Brito
-All piping, fittings necessary for installation
-Fuel system that will be properly matched to power level .
-Properly matched turbo setup based on desired powered level
-Air Filters
-Custom Badging

Here is a video on the original Castellano Performance Engineering side mount twin turbo system tuned with a Vec that shows power levels at various amounts of boost.

This new system that will be designed, prototyped and installed on my Gen 2 Viper will be capable of producing more power due to the positive changes made as well as the progression and continuance of turbocharger technology.

I will post pics of my build from start to finish and let you know of any hurdles that I run into along the way (if any). Once tuned, I will show video of how it sounds and dyno results using 91 octane/methanol and E-85.

I can answer some questions, but if they are asking for specifics on the system, please post and I will ask the man himself, if he is unable to chime in.

STAY TUNED!!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #2

plumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 98476 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 98476 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 98476 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 98476 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 98476 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 98476 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 98476 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 98476 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 98476 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 98476 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 98476 points
this outta be fun

Old July 28th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Undercover Mod

Buddha is not afraid of bears with 199271 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199271 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199271 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199271 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199271 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199271 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199271 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199271 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199271 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199271 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199271 points
What shop is that? Looks like in Hayward,Fremont area..

Old July 28th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #4

Twinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 pointsTwinscrewd is not afraid of bears with 3332 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
What shop is that? Looks like in Hayward,Fremont area..
Not really sure, I'll have to ask Paolo.

Old July 28th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #5

Posting one of my dyno runs with the Roe so to set as a baseline to compare to the new system when installed, this was on a 8lb pulley setup pushing around 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 lbs of boost

Old July 28th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Enthusiast

8valves is definately a better person than you are with 371 points8valves is definately a better person than you are with 371 points8valves is definately a better person than you are with 371 points8valves is definately a better person than you are with 371 points
I feel as though this needed the Shamwow guy to help the presentation.

Old July 28th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Enthusiast

Jappbox is well liked with 210 pointsJappbox is well liked with 210 pointsJappbox is well liked with 210 points
I would like to say im the one with the 144.9 MPH traping stock motor car. I am in the process of upgrading the turbos again. They were acording to Comp turbo, only 67mm cast wheels. They will be coming back to me with 71mm BILLET wheels. Comp Turbo says i will see a increase of 20% better flow per turbo. (and I am droping in a Built motor) CPE side mount Turbo kit WILL see 1000+whp on just 93 octane in the coming 2 months.

Old July 28th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #8

joshwars is not afraid of bears with 3453 pointsjoshwars is not afraid of bears with 3453 pointsjoshwars is not afraid of bears with 3453 pointsjoshwars is not afraid of bears with 3453 pointsjoshwars is not afraid of bears with 3453 pointsjoshwars is not afraid of bears with 3453 pointsjoshwars is not afraid of bears with 3453 pointsjoshwars is not afraid of bears with 3453 pointsjoshwars is not afraid of bears with 3453 pointsjoshwars is not afraid of bears with 3453 pointsjoshwars is not afraid of bears with 3453 points
Oh sweet jesus.

Old July 28th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #9

Paolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jappbox View Post
I would like to say im the one with the 144.9 MPH traping stock motor car. I am in the process of upgrading the turbos again. They were acording to Comp turbo, only 67mm cast wheels. They will be coming back to me with 71mm BILLET wheels. Comp Turbo says i will see a increase of 20% better flow per turbo. (and I am droping in a Built motor) CPE side mount Turbo kit WILL see 1000+whp on just 93 octane in the coming 2 months.
Jesse, I thought your car had the cast 71's..... Your car made those numbers with less turbo than I thought.....

How's the build coming along?

Old July 28th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #10
Finger Licken Good

Mister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 points
Poof.......gone

Last edited by Mister Bone; August 1st, 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Old July 29th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Paolo thought you had 71's on it. Well That's awesome then, both of us should be finished around the same time frame. It'll be interesting to see the results between the two kits.

Nice runs by the way.... I'm really looking forward to feeling the power difference.

Old July 29th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #12

jojogts made Varsity with 966 pointsjojogts made Varsity with 966 pointsjojogts made Varsity with 966 pointsjojogts made Varsity with 966 pointsjojogts made Varsity with 966 pointsjojogts made Varsity with 966 pointsjojogts made Varsity with 966 pointsjojogts made Varsity with 966 points
Pics of the turbo kit?

Old July 29th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #13
Enthusiast

Jappbox is well liked with 210 pointsJappbox is well liked with 210 pointsJappbox is well liked with 210 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by eabrillon1978 View Post
Paolo thought you had 71's on it. Well That's awesome then, both of us should be finished around the same time frame. It'll be interesting to see the results between the two kits.

Nice runs by the way.... I'm really looking forward to feeling the power difference.
I thought it had twin cast 71mm wheels to! but Comp told me they were only 67mm cast wheels? even if they were 71 cast, the Billets they said will flow a lot more power. I should have them back to me this week. Its hard finding time to work on it. Still swapping stuff from my stock motor over to the built one. and replacing things that need attention as I go.

Old July 29th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #14
Enthusiast

8valves is definately a better person than you are with 371 points8valves is definately a better person than you are with 371 points8valves is definately a better person than you are with 371 points8valves is definately a better person than you are with 371 points
I'm actually quite intrigued to see the proprietary cast iron turbo manifolds described in the details. Does anyone have some pictures of those? Thanks.

Old July 29th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #15

JohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 33956 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 33956 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 33956 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 33956 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 33956 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 33956 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 33956 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 33956 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 33956 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 33956 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 33956 points
Fail

Old July 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojogts View Post
Pics of the turbo kit?
It's still in the fabrication stages. When it's finished, I will post the build and results when finished. Sorry, I'm as anxious as anybody to see the end results.

Quote:
I thought it had twin cast 71mm wheels to! but Comp told me they were only 67mm cast wheels? even if they were 71 cast, the Billets they said will flow a lot more power. I should have them back to me this week. Its hard finding time to work on it. Still swapping stuff from my stock motor over to the built one. and replacing things that need attention as I go.
It takes time to do, I've been there. I don't have much time on my hands either. This is pretty much going to be my weekend project

Old July 29th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #17

Paolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5500 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
I'm actually quite intrigued to see the proprietary cast iron turbo manifolds described in the details. Does anyone have some pictures of those? Thanks.
They are kind of a combination of my proprietary cast manifolds on Doc1's car and my previously fabricated side mount manifolds that are on Jappbox's car.

I am pretty excited about the way I will be able to use them for multiple model years as well as the durability they have exhibited thus far on Doc's car. They seal perfectly and the spark plug boot clearance is has allowed Doc/Robert to run the stock spark plug boots/wires without issue.

Old July 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #18

99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 57882 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 57882 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 57882 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 57882 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 57882 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 57882 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 57882 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 57882 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 57882 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 57882 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 57882 points
How are you getting around the heat that kills the spark plug wire boot? After a few months of solid driving, they start to break down and crack. Even with a Heat sock installed around the plug boot. Might want to think about the Accel ceramic plug wires like Jappbox has on his.

Old July 29th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RT10>S View Post
How are you getting around the heat that kills the spark plug wire boot? After a few months of solid driving, they start to break down and crack. Even with a Heat sock installed around the plug boot. Might want to think about the Accel ceramic plug wires like Jappbox has on his.

We talked about this a while back as well. The new design sits lower than the ones pictured and will have plenty of access to remove and install the plugs/wires during regular maintenance. The design has been tested for a few thousand miles without the socks and has experienced no issues with the boots/wires melting or cracking.

Old July 29th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RT10>S View Post
Mike, the long axis of the log on the Robert's front mount castings is further out away from the cylinder head now than the original fabricated front mount and side mount manifolds.

This has been changed to address the very issue about which you are inquiring.

Like I said when I posted the pics of the manifolds on Robert's car, he has driven quite a few miles in the Texas heat without issue....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.