Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Sls amg

9K views 47 replies 17 participants last post by  Newport Viper 
#1 ·
Anyone own one here? (The good, bad and ugly please...) I know they don't make um anymore... but....

The Roadster specifically...

Thinking about my next car if no Viper Vert or, if I don't like what SRT/Dodge comes up with.

I posted in AG before so, excuse the one time move to The Garage... just tryin to find more people that know about them...

I can't seem to find much wrong with it. I am super curious about a Viper Vert but.... we will see. I'm a buyer for the SLS in the winter inDec, Jan... (I would like to see the prices fall a touch more) So, could be the last Viper summer (17+ years now)...going to enjoy it!

I live next to the largest Benz dealer on the planet ... they are awesome for future SLS service.

They couldn't have got me in the car faster and threw me the keys! Put my butt right in the Final Edition GT (225K-250Kplus) unlike those Dodge dealers.... LOL

Going to keep my eye out for a 2012 (In my price range) Silver with a Sand or Black int.

The one they had I liked but, I don't think the red/black interior is the way to go...

I tend to keep my car toys for a long time. I think the SLS won't lose much on style points as time goes by. ( Yes.... tough not to get those gull wing doors but, this is SoCal!)

Plus, I was at the 'Ring back when they were under cover testing the SLS. I can't get that AWESOME 190mph+ engine note out of my mind to this day! They were running two cars flying laps... (Will try to dig up a video)

Update Found the Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgAn...ature=youtu.be

not my vid but cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05pN7Rxqfpk

Dealer Ordering guide Redirect Notice

Here's 3 more soooooo not in the budget....but they look purdy in this thread...

Getting very serious about these cars now ...in case the Viper doesn't drop the top to my liking....

Anyone else here have experience with these?

See less See more
#4 ·
David.

One of our club members here in San Diego has a couple of them. One Coupe and One Vert.

Says they are easier to drive around than in his Viper. Smooth and powerful. While they depreciate like a rock (as do most AMGs)

Build quality is first rate and they are typically Mercedes solid.

Did not say much about maintenance, but it is good that you live near a Dealership.

When built, they were the Mercedes Flagship. Displayed at dealership fully roped off.

Believe you can get them with run flat tires (inside joke)

#11 ·
The SLS is such a great car and IMO the 6.2 is the best engine that has come out of the AMG factory. The owner of the indie shop I took my E55 to for an aligment has one and when I asked him about the car he raved most about the carbon ceramic brakes. If I had the money I'd definitely buy one but it would have to be the Black Series :)

I was a big BMW M guy up until about 3 years ago. Too many rod bearing issues through multiple engine series (S54,S62,S65,S85) was enough for me to jump ship. I bought a W211 E55 and have been hooked since. All the new AMG's are sick and especially note worthy is how much power the bi-turbo E63 gains with just a tune. Bone stock cars gaining around 170rwhp and 240rwtq with just a tune! Gotta love it.

#14 ·
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FatgpB0Vryc]2012 Tuned Mercedes Benz E63 AMG V8 BiTurbo - Dyno Test Video - Road Test TV - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a AMS Alpha package E63 with upgraded turbos and a tune:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr-wNsYx3W8]Mercedes E63 AMG Alpha 9 [900 HP]: Insane SOUND - Acceleration - YouTube[/ame]

RENNtech SLS AMG Black Series, shifts like a BAMF :) :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B51B0rXv3Xc]RENNtech Mercedes SLS AMG Black Series - In Action - YouTube[/ame]

#19 ·
My neighbor has both the SLS and a 507 C63 like mine (only his is a 4 door). He has tracked both and says the C63 is more fun to drive esp around a track as he finds the SLS a bit tail happy with the nannys off. Not sure what planet he is on because mine will step out on very modest throttle (with stock tires) if I turn traction completely off, they are both a beast.

However for appointment level, sex appeal and ultimate performance the SLS is obviously a cut above the cheaper C class.

Beautiful cars. The AMG ownership experience is also a very good one I have found FWIW. If you have a dealer near you - go for it and don't look back.

The old 6.2 is a weapon. I got 460rwhp on just a tune, and with new headers etc are aiming to crack 500rw shortly. Will know every soon, just waiting for coatings to be applied to headers.

#23 ·
Thanks all! (for all the reps too) It is my "dream car". (Viper with paddles and Vert and I will come back... maybe... I will hold on to my Newport Viper screen name I must have had that for 15 years...) I was at the Ring' in 08 when the pre-productions were running. I couldn't get the motor out of my head. I need a car with no compromises and this is the one. The new MB GT does nothing for me. I wanted a limited car (2700+) with a big motor, with heritage (F1), and that was Viper "like". Oh it's got to be a Vert too. :D This will be my last gas car. :cursin: It does everything so well and, it certainly is not boring. It drives so easy in bumper to bumper and it is a blast to open it up! The WIDE track is awesome for handling. This car has tons of options and the AMG Performance Media is great! I swear you can put a queen size mattress under the hood. Some German Dude even signed the motor. :drive: It is very much Viper. Well German Wiper anyways! I had over 127,000+ miles on Vipers and I will miss it. I guess this is my mid life (48) crisis car. The SOUND. WOW. THE SOUND! This is Designo Magno Alanite Grey matte finish with a woven natural brown on the inside. The woven is a throw back to the 1950's cars. Anyways ...if you have the means.... I highly recommend it! LOFL :burn:

#24 ·
Well done mate. I almost went Viper but glad I went AMG. Still might get a Gen V later, but will not part with either AMG to do it.

Those 6.2 engines are just legend. Reliable too. My ML63 has done 125,000 miles and still runs like a kitten, no rattles, drives like new, uses no oil (some do), and revs to 7300rpm with ridiculous ease.

I think that 6.2 engine is one of the best ever made by any car company. Enjoy. Take it to a track where you can select S+ and give it death, and listen to the harmony and engine blipping downshifts.

I find the paddles suck for other than straight line because they're on the wheel not the column, so past 45 degrees you can get lost lol

I know this because I downshifted from 2nd to 1st (instead of 3rd) by mistake when I first got mine and hit 9300rpm according to the ECU log. Strong engine thank God as didn't feel like spending 6 figures on a new engine the day I got it. Felt like a dork, but engine still strong and has beaten some much more expensive cars.

#32 ·
I recall someone claiming that his is definitely BS because 1) it was designed by AMG and 2) it was aluminum.
Or the design for the (would have been) Viper chassis was started while Mercedes owned Chrysler and they decided to let AMG do it instead of "Team Viper" and were going to spend the extra coin for aluminum?

#33 · (Edited)
It's not B.S. There is a reason the Viper chassis designation skips a generation. The Viper was going to an aluminum chassis before Daimler raped and pillaged them. Chrysler engineers have said as much recently. I'm just saying... There's a reason we all like the SLS... It's a German Viper. And it might not be as German as they'd lead you to believe.

Reactions: Newport Viper
#37 ·
It truly is a beast of a car. It really is a Viper in my mind... just no compromises... It's nice to have just one of the 884 Roadsters. I'm very sure this is 1 of 1 with the options too.

Is it worth a couple of Vipers +.... well that depends.... :D

#41 · (Edited)
Yeah....not alot of entertainment over there. I have to keep coming back over here to get my fun fix! The Alley Rules!

PS if you have a matte finish (body and wheels) get Dr. Beasley's. I just finished a full detail today.

Just for kicks vvvvvv

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.