Building a chassis table for the shop. - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Garage » The Garage
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Chat · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

The Garage A forum for non-Viper area for general car discussions.

Building a chassis table for the shop.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old February 24th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #1

NITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 points

So for years now I have always thought about how nice the luxury of having a chassis table would be for doing chassis and frame work the "right" way. Aside from providing a dead nuts square and level work area it also just makes the work easier in general. Being able to have car up off the ground a couple feet is nice for not only being a better work height but being able to roll under the car and tune the suspension under a load.

The problem with chassis tables is that they are priced anywhere from 10-100 THOUSAND dollars. And I as it turns out, am not wealthy. So after doing a fair amount of research I have decided that it is well within my capability to build one of my own.

The first thing we needed to get started though were a couple of 15 long I-beams to act as the two main rails. I came across a guy that had two 30 foot long C-channels however that when cut in half and welded together would accomplish the same goal AND they were priced great....but, there was a catch. The C-channels were sitting out in the middle of nowhere on a couple rail road ties about 100 yards from any truck access point....buried in snow. So my right hand man in all my nonsensical endeavors, Tom joined me on this recovery mission last night.

The problem with 30 foot sections of steel is that my truck has an 8 foot box. And my trailer is only 28 foot. Seeing as I needed them at 15 feet the only option was to take the torch in the back of the truck to the site, cut them to length, and carry them to the truck. And that's what we did. And believe me when I say I have NEVER carried anything that damn heavy, for that amount of distance FOUR times in my life. I'm not working out this week. And then we had to unload them at the shop.....which brings me to my next purchase. A forklift.

Anyway, here is the payload making it's way home. I will keep you posted on the construction so you guys can see what this allows me to do and if you decided to build your own this will be a little reference build for how I'm choosing to do mine.

Note that my truck is actually squatting in these pics. My trailer loaded down with a car doesn't make the ol girl squat. Then again 1,600 pounds of steel hanging 7 feet off the tailgate will do that

And for those that don't know, here is the general idea of a chassis table. This was is designed different then what I am building but the concept is the same. Provides a 100% square working area which is hugely important when doing roll cages in unibody cars. If your car is sitting slightly crooked then that's how you are setting it up permanently when you weld your cage in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #2

TimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 points
So, for the next few days when your arms and back are killing you, you can look to this post and remember the reason why.

BTW, any updates on your mustang/viper project? I got caught up on the thread posted here the other day. I'm real interested in how that's turning out.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 24th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #3

NITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 pointsNITMARE is not afraid of bears with 2830 points
My back feels amazingly good today! Not to get off topic but I can really say that doing "core" area workouts really helps!

The motor is done. I'm repainting a changing a bunch of small stuff. It gets old telling people it will be just a little longer so I figured I would just stay off the radar till she's running again

Old February 24th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #4

JGK95 is not afraid of bears with 48447 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 48447 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 48447 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 48447 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 48447 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 48447 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 48447 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 48447 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 48447 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 48447 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 48447 points
[]Not hardly even a whiff of jealousy
[XXXXXXXXXXX]VERY JEALOUS

Great last several months of documents inside the pages of Rod and Custom regarding frame building with boxing, an 'x' cross member being added, and 'Z-ing' a frame.

Old February 24th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #5

TimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 pointsTimLippard is not afraid of bears with 19771 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITMARE View Post
My back feels amazingly good today! Not to get off topic but I can really say that doing "core" area workouts really helps!

The motor is done. I'm repainting a changing a bunch of small stuff. It gets old telling people it will be just a little longer so I figured I would just stay off the radar till she's running again
Awesome! I think it's great that you've stayed on track after the delays and the disappointing setbacks. The payoff will be extremely well worth it. I'm definitely staying around for the results!

Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:35 PM   #6

94supra is kissing alot of ass around here with 500 points94supra is kissing alot of ass around here with 500 points94supra is kissing alot of ass around here with 500 points94supra is kissing alot of ass around here with 500 points94supra is kissing alot of ass around here with 500 points94supra is kissing alot of ass around here with 500 points
got some good shit going on there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Garage » The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.