Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Gen 4 Intake manifold and heads

18K views 46 replies 10 participants last post by  Final GTS 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if a gen 4 intake manifold will have hood clearance problems on a gen 2 car ??? Im thinking of doing a gen 4 conversion on my 98 gts...:)

#3 · (Edited)
Gen 4 Heads

I plan on using manual throttle boddies.... I just bought the gen 4 heads, valve covers and intake.. Theres a youtube video with a gen 3 viper with gen 4 heads and intake with manual throttle boddies.... I was gona go with some gts r racing heads but the gen 4s flow much better...

#5 ·
I plan on using manual throttle boddies.... I just bought the gen 4 heads, valve covers and intake.. Theres a youtube video with a gen 3 viper with gen 4 heads and intake with manual throttle boddies.... I was gona go with some gts r racing heads but the gen 4s flow much better...

If your talking about the black convertible then that car was built by viper specialties. Those are custom made throttle boddies and the guy doesn't sell them with out the entire 17k gen 4 conv package.

I only asked you this because I don't think you've done enough research to see what's really involved in this conversion. Clearance of the intake is the least of your potential issues.

If you do have a plan up your sleeve please do tell. I've been looking in to this myself for some time and have done extensive research.

#6 · (Edited)
Gen 4 Heads

My machinist buddy is going to mill some aluminum adapter plates and bolt on two 70 mm throttle boddies... Another problem is the block surface of the heads has extra cooling holes wich will be either welded or tappped and plugged but im thinking welded would be best? Last problem is no front bolt lugs for power steering so im going to see if our local head welding shop can weld on three lugs on the front of the head? Will probably cut the lugs off one of the extra gen 2 heads i have and weld them on the gen 4 head? I wish i could weld aluminum:cursin: Im not going to run the individual coil packs will just run the spark plug wires under the valve cover covers to the plugs.... Still have to figure out headers? I probably will have them custom made with the gen 4 bolt up flange as i dont think a gen 4 car aftermarket header will work ??? Could also run some cheap gen 4 stock exhaust manifold for now..... I hope this all works??? Maybe someone can give me some smarter advise???:)

#9 ·
I stand corrected. You did your research! Looking forward to see how you do your throttle bodies. I would just run thegen 4 intake manifolds. You can pick them up for 150-250 in almost new condition. Looks like you have the PS issue worked out. I would leave the inginiton system alone as well.

I'm looking to do this on a gen 3. Wonder if I can use the 70mm gen two throttle bodies???

#22 ·
Believe me, I understand what you are trying to do- its just not what we normally would package and sell.

If you guys are serious, and there are at least a few of you, I would consider putting together a Gen-4 intake module package ONLY. Basically including manifold, machining and all changes needed to make the module function on a Gen-2/3, throttle bodies w/wiggins flanges and all internals, plug-in ready TPS and Idle control, and throttle cable bracket... can even polish and powdercoat if wanted.

Everything else would be your problem, lol.

I cannot do this with less than (3) being produced.

Exactly as seen here:

#27 ·
View attachment 44979 I would think you would be better to run a gen 3 intake and stay with gen 2 heads for TT setup....:)
From a power stand point you are 100% wrong. From ease of install, 100% correct.

Unported Gen4 heads flow a bit better than ported Gen 4 and if you port the gen4 heads before install, simply not even in the same play ground. Also the Gen4 intake flows better than Gen 3.

#33 ·
Guys, as best I can tell, it is going to be about 5.5K each for (3) modules. This would include the intake manifold, throttle bodies and all components, machining, and idle control system/hardware/electronics. Can deduct manifold credit if supplying one, and can apply a credit if a used/good manifold is acceptable rather than new.

Yeah, its expensive... but its also expensive for us to produce because of the custom [and especially Mopar] parts content, and very time consuming. Even at that price it is barely worth doing on our end.

#34 ·
Gen 4 Head conversion

How much for just the two throttle bodies??? I already have the major parts... Heads, intake, valve covers and fuel rails and injectors... The bigest thing im wondering about is what you do about the extra cooling holes on the head to block surface? Do they have to be plugged???????????????:cursin:

#35 ·
How much for just the two throttle bodies??? I already have the major parts... Heads, intake, valve covers and fuel rails and injectors...
The throttle bodies by themselves will not function without the accompanying machine work and controls.

I would credit you for supplying the manifold, but everything else is needed.

#37 · (Edited)
So how much credit back for having my own intake manifold??? I finally found out the stock size of Gen 4 throttle bodies... There 74mm stock.. What size are the ones your offering???:cool:
Manifold credit would be about 1250.00. Ours are a hair over 76mm.

On that note, If anyone is interested, continue this on the "other" forum thread of similar topic [anton28's thread] or contact us directly. This thread has been derailed enough, lol.

#43 ·
Anyone thought or tried to find a challenger v10 drag pak intake manifold and TB? Looks like a hybrid of the gen3 manual TB and the gen4 intake/cyl head package...

#46 ·
Whats the most upto date status on this conversion package or are we able to convert to Gen5 NOW ETC.

My goal is to do some work to my Gen2 next year, been toying with the idea of a set of heads/headers/rockers. But the Gen4 or Gen5 (if possible) maybe the best bet at this time.

Sorry I search but keep finding this page or old material.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.