Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Installed HID 55w Headlight Kit

17K views 152 replies 39 participants last post by  dsmithwc04 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm currently testing out a set of HID's from Blown408(provided through Gotham Cycles) and all I can say is they look astonishing. It took me roughly 20 minutes per side to complete this mod and it was very straightforward. I went with 6k's and they are a very nice bright white with a slight tint of blue. The overall light output is increased substantially over the factory setup.

This is how I went about installing the HID's

Step 1: Remove the clips holding the dust guard in place

Step 2: Removed the 4 screws from the back of the headlight housing

Step 3: Turn counter-clockwise to remove the old bulb then remove the clip holding the bulb to the factory wiring

Step 4: Connect the new bulb to the factory wiring(make sure to match the blue wire to the red and black to black) but leave the bulb in the protective case and out of its installed position for the time being

Step 5: I recommend testing the headlight to make sure the wires are connected properly

Step 6: Insert the new bulb and turn clock-wise to lock it into place

Step 7: Mount the HID ballast via zip ties onto the 2 post present in the headlight housing

Step 8: Consolidate your wiring by attaching a zip tie( this will help to insure the wiring stays within the housing when you begin to re-attach the back of the headlight housing

Step 9: Re-install the back of the headlight housing and dust guard

Step 10: Rinse and repeat

Stock: Driver HID: Passenger

See less See more
#140 ·
I swapped bulbs and the problem stayed on the same side. He sent me a new ballast but I haven't had time to install it. I put the factory bulbs back in for now so I can drive without the ghetto gimme a ticket look.

#145 ·
So does a Gen 2 viper need the harness for a 55 watt system? Not sure what guage the factory wire is and what it is rated for?

DDM currently is $56 for 55 watt 9005 shipped for a kit. another $10 or so for the harness. Not worried about the $10 but would like to not have to install it if it is not needed.

#147 ·
DDM is 50/50 sometimes they seem to last awhile and sometimes they die quickly. Plus their warranty service seems to leave much to be desired. The 55w system is fine for the car, I always recommend upping the fuses on the car. Even with a 35w system sometimes the Viper doesn't like it and you have to flip the lights off and on again to fire them. Its just the wiring in general, however our 55w kits barely pull anymore power from the actual OEM wiring than a 35w kit.

Can someone take video of them driving with the lights on? I already have a good quality 35w HID kit but with the stock projectors they don't work that well. I was going to do what KNG SNKE did with a projector swap but with this 55w kit, it looks like I would save a step.
KNG SNK makes awesome stuff! If you do want a 55w kit we have them in stock, there were some pics posted around the forum with our kits. Nothing driving though....

#148 ·
Anarchy99, I never heard about the fact that your kit pulled less power than DDMs... Maybe I can cancel the order I made last night with them and make an order with you. Last thing I want is a melted headlight that is impossible to replace... for under $1000

#150 ·
First off let me be clear, the DDM kit and my kit, any HID kit for that matter PULLS the same amount of power. Its a 12v source so I would never make that type of claim. Now, if the DDM kit is still using DC power rather than our digital kits using AC power then yes our kits pull less power that goes to the bulb. An AC current will send a nice continuous current to the system rather than a DC current which sends bursts of energy.

Also no matter what HID kit you have it will not melt your headlights, Xenon runs cooler than OEM halogen bulbs.

What fuses do you recommend upping? Sounds like you mean more than one?
Up them by 5-10amps max.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.