Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Fuel Pump Removal- Help

14K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  coupe 
#1 ·
I'm trying to install a new fuel pump. I've removed the access panel, the silver supports holding it in and the filler neck. However it still won't move. It shifts side to side and will move out about 2 inches but that's it. What else do i need to do?

Hood Grille Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

See less See more
#8 ·
The top opening on the tank has a raised lip/ring that gets "caught" on a fiberglass seam just inside the panel access... I trimmed it just enough with a cutoff wheel and also pushed down on top of tank while pulling it back. It's a fight, but it will come out of there.

Wear long sleeve shirt and gloves when working around that glass. Don't breathe the dust.

#9 ·
Yes my pump went bad.

Coupe which part on the top do i trim? I can't see anything hung up anywhere near the front of the tank. The top of the tank has about 1 inch clearance before it hits the top of the trunk. Whatever it's hung up on has to be at least as far back as the pump and electrical plug ins. I can only get my hand in there about 8 inches.

#10 ·
It was 5 years ago; I don't have the car anymore. If your clearance is totally clear up on top, then you will need to look all around the tank to see what's still connected. You do have the inner fenders out, right? The fuel line disconnected? Filler neck? Vent tube? electrical plugs? BOTH sides of the straps? Can't remember anything else...

#11 ·
I have both straps off and the filler neck out. Why would i remove the inner fenders? I can't reach the fuel line or electrical plugs because theres no clearance to reach it. I'm trying to pull the tank into the trunk to disconnect everything but something is keeping it from moving. I"m guessing a short electrical plug.

#12 ·
Take out inner fenders for clearance to access that stuff... Will have to drill rivets, then re-rivet...line and filter are on drivers side if I recall. Good opportunity to clean dirt and grime out of the area too...if you do that sorta thing.

#16 ·
You have to cut away a fair amount of the top of that ledge that trunk liner to get it out. Probably more than you want, but it is a must if you want to get the tank out. When the panel goes back on, nobody will see the gap.

#17 ·
No need to be fighting this; take the damn inner fenders out. You'll gain access that way. As mentioned above, you may also need to trim some fiberglass on top inside the access panel...

#20 ·
I literally just pulled mine out 2 hours ago. Probably only took me an hour to get it drained and sitting on the floor. ( I had the pop rivets drilled already and just had clips holding the cover in place)

1) Disconnect fuel line at top of fuel filter
2) Run rubber hose from fuel line to gas jug
3) Short relay in trunk to run fuel pump and remove most of the gas from the tank
4) Remove cover in trunk
5) Remove pass side rear inner fender extension (the piece that bolts to the rear bumper)
6) Remove the plastic push clips from pass rear fender liner
7) Reach up and disconnect the vent hose from the filler neck.
8) Remove 3 screws from filler neck located under fuel door.
9) Remove filler neck
10) Disconnect rubber vent line beside fuel filter
11) Undo 2 strap nuts in trunk and move straps out of the way
12) Pull tank out and disconnect electrical connector from sending unit on top of the tank

I left both inner fenders riveted in and I found no need to touch the drivers rear fender at all. I also had no clearance issues removing the tank.. /shrug

#22 ·
Every car is different. I know that sounds stupid but every car has it's own quirks that get in the way. After you have done about 10 of them, you learn all the little tricks to use. Some cars use these tricks, somecars use those. Some cars take 3 hrs to get the tank out and the next one is out in 15 minutes. Go figure.:arcade:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.