Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

timing cover replacement?

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  gemballa viper 
#1 ·
Hi, i noticed that my timing cover was leaking antifreeze from the top which was coming out from a crack. Does anyone know if it is easy changing the timing cover? If i remove the cover will the timing chain get messed up or will it be fine? thanks its a 2006 coupe

#2 ·
"Easy" is a relative term. What is your experience level? If you are asking, then I would guess that it would not be easy for you. No offense intended. Really, the hardest part is removing the harmonic balancer. There are a couple of good threads on the viperclub website with photos. They are for Gen 2; but, I do not think there is much difference.

#7 ·
well i have experience working with cars/ fixing most of the things on them except engines. My biggest worry is the timing chain because i know if it's not correctly placed then it will ruin the engine. So will taking the cover off affect the timing chain? will it have to be adjusted?

#3 ·
Depends on skills/knowledge, I just did it for my cam upgrade. You'll have to remove the alternator,harmonic balancer,air box, Serpentine belt, and possible the water pump (manual says you don't have to) and tensioner. You'll also have to loosen the bolts that hold the A/C compressor to the engine.

Get a service manual, harmonic balancer puller, torque wrench,good razor, new crackshaft seal, and a good timing cover gasket. I got my timing chain gasket from viper specialty because they have cosmetic ones as opposed the the stock paper type. Good luck!

#4 ·
I got my timing chain gasket from viper specialty because they have cosmetic ones as opposed the the stock paper type.
Agree with that vendor recommendation; but, I'd ask for the Cometic gasket ! (Just had to throw that in because it is the second time today that I have seen it mispelled by someone !!! LOL ! )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.