Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Clearance issue on driver's side turnout

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jasontiff 
#1 ·
I've got 99% of the exhaust done on the car. A buddy was helping with the final touches on welding today and the driver's side turnout rests maybe 1/4" above the frame. I started the car and could immediately feel the rattling.

I haven't checked the motor mount yet. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting a little more clearance (aside from the obvious frame cutting)? The tech that helps me said to be sure and pull up on each header pipe as I tightened the bolts down, so that's already done. I didn't know if there was anything else to check for or do to remedy this.

Silver lining: I started that fucker and the only leaks were from the O2s I forgot to screw back in. Sumbitch is LOUD. I'll get a video once I get it buttoned up.

#3 ·
Had the same issue on my old Roe car Jason, I added a few shims that I made to the motor mount, raised things up about 1/8 inch and it solved my problem. You could also dent the exhaust a bit. If you have 1/4" of clearance you shouldn't need much more(unless your motor mounts are shot). Put up a video, I want to hear it.

marty

#4 ·
I have replacement motor mounts sitting around, so if they're busted I can replace them.

It's funny...the passenger side sits perfectly in the middle of the hole, but the driver's side is way down there. They're B&Bs.

I'll try and get a video tonight after I get the O2s in there and find the fuel leak. I thought the gas smell was a little too strong for just being a cold start and the computer relearning. It took a while but I've got a slow leak by the fuel pressure relief valve.

#6 · (Edited)
Hey Jason,
If your mounts are the OEMs, I guarantee they are fucked. Get a new set in there and you should solve your clearance issues. Better yet, get one poly mount from Woodhouse and you're done! Really, you only need one side, the side that torques like hell.

#8 ·
Intake Before (looking toward front bumper)...

Intake After...

DS Before...

DS After...

PS Before...

PS After...

Shims, 0.090 steel (or thinner, can't remember fer sure), homemade by the master...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.