Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Installed HID 55w Headlight Kit

17K views 152 replies 39 participants last post by  dsmithwc04 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm currently testing out a set of HID's from Blown408(provided through Gotham Cycles) and all I can say is they look astonishing. It took me roughly 20 minutes per side to complete this mod and it was very straightforward. I went with 6k's and they are a very nice bright white with a slight tint of blue. The overall light output is increased substantially over the factory setup.

This is how I went about installing the HID's

Step 1: Remove the clips holding the dust guard in place

Step 2: Removed the 4 screws from the back of the headlight housing

Step 3: Turn counter-clockwise to remove the old bulb then remove the clip holding the bulb to the factory wiring

Step 4: Connect the new bulb to the factory wiring(make sure to match the blue wire to the red and black to black) but leave the bulb in the protective case and out of its installed position for the time being

Step 5: I recommend testing the headlight to make sure the wires are connected properly

Step 6: Insert the new bulb and turn clock-wise to lock it into place

Step 7: Mount the HID ballast via zip ties onto the 2 post present in the headlight housing

Step 8: Consolidate your wiring by attaching a zip tie( this will help to insure the wiring stays within the housing when you begin to re-attach the back of the headlight housing

Step 9: Re-install the back of the headlight housing and dust guard

Step 10: Rinse and repeat

Stock: Driver HID: Passenger

See less See more
#106 ·
I woke up this morning and my kit was not delivered. We're talking 16 critical hours of waiting since paypal sucked me down. Obviously there is something going on in manufacturing causing these delays. Dammit.

#118 ·
You are drawing a little more power with an HID kit but in my opinion those $30 relay harnesses might be a little gimmicky price-wise. I have never in all my years selling HIDs needed to sell relay harnesses for an HID kit. Keep in mind also we primarily focus on motorcycles and these are 55w kits. I would have to imagine the guys with the most worry about poor battery power, small or bad wiring would be motorcycles. No issues for us to this date and we have sold some older model bikes HIDs with no issues.

If you feel the need to run one I am happy to see if our distributor can get them, however all the Viper guys running our kits right now have not had any issues on their wiring. The technology is much better inside the kits, the way they draw power, how much they draw, how they send signals etc etc. I think you should be fine without the relay. Again, that being said I can probably get them if your that worried.

#129 ·
I have never sold a 4300 kit in all the years doing this to be honest, 3k is yellow and 5k is pure white pick your poison really. Why have 4k... to have yellow/white? We probably have what your looking for just may be a different temperature.

I would like to order a set of the 6k low beams. possibly the fog lights too. I have a 99 gts. please let me know how to order.
Sounds good I will send you a pm!

#131 ·
That is considered the most closely equivalent to the factory color you are correct, but honestly nobody who buys HIDs wants them to look like the factory yellowish color they like to get an improvement in not only looks but output. Also we are primarily carrying kits for Ducati and BMW and they are usually buying something like 6k So we just don't stock them, there is no money to be made. If you really want that set I can ask our distributor if he has something? Let me know, happy to help!

#132 · (Edited)
That is considered the most closely equivalent to the factory color you are correct, but honestly nobody who buys HIDs wants them to look like the factory yellowish color they like to get an improvement in not only looks but output. Also we are primarily carrying kits for ing something like 6k So we just don't stock them, there is no money to be made. If you really want that set I can ask our distributor if he has something? Let me know, happy to help!
Thanks. Im on the fence with the headlamp color. For the fogs, I like the exaggerated 8k, but not sure I want that temp for my driving lights. Dont most ppl match fogs and driving? All of these tough decisions, and I dont take it out of the garage:D

#133 ·
Yea most people do match but I think you will actually like the 8k with 55w on the Viper, since the kits are 55w they do pronounce things whiter than usual. There are a couple people on here running 8k and love the looks. You will put out a ton more light than the OEM bulbs regardless haha.

#134 ·
Does anyone have a picture of the cutoff created by the viper headlights with HID's? Say against a wall that is a decent distance away from the car? And have many retrofitted newer projectors into their headlights? The retrofit source has great kits to do so but I'm not sure the viper needs it as I don't have one yet haha

#143 · (Edited)
If you want to control the light properly swap out the projectors. TSX projectors are an easy swap. To my knowledge I am the only one who has a projector swap, feel free to check out the photos. (And no I do not have yellow bezels in my headlights, those were a test to see how horrible it would look, very horrible)

Headlight dissection and retrofit thread

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/100746-dodge-viper-gen-2-a.html#post1547043

Viper cutoff using 35w HID's, 10k, OEM projector. Complete shit. (Drivers side)

Viper Cutoff using TSX projectors with R lense, 35w HID, 5k, passenger side

#136 ·
Well, they've been on the car maybe a few months and one side is already fucked. Nothing like driving in the dark with one headlight. No it's not the upgraded 15amp fuse.

Any recommendations on a kit that lasts longer than 10 drives?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.