Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Upper Horsepower Limits for the T-56

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Alkybanshee 
#1 ·
I've seen some with 1000 to the wheels with the stock T56? Anyone pushing any higher and it still holding up?

I don't plan on doing any mile or 1/2 mile events, just some trips to the track and highway pulls....

#8 ·
I believe the biggest issue is fluid moving away from the front gear set as you accelerate, and over time this weakens the gears, which then eventually fail. Setting up a pump system to keep fluid on the front gears will help, but the trans still has a limited life span behind big hp.

I don't "abuse" my tranny, but I gernaded my input shaft drive gear and the driven gear just doing a gentle 3rd gear pull on the high way. My datalogger claims 928wtq at the time of the "incident".

I've contemplated G-Force upgrades and other stuff, but people are destroying them as well, so I think the 6060 is the best bet. Shifts better/smoother, and seems to be stronger.

#10 ·
I shit out a stock unit with Roe and slicks. Messed the gears in an RPM built 56 with current TT doing nothing crazy. All depends, I've seen stockers hold many TT's for a while.

#11 ·
Ive been through 2 so far. 1 stock tranny and 1 "built" tranny on my Roe car.

I think its luck of the draw. RSi is about to install my third tranny in the next few weeks.
Its built by Rockland Gears. The loaner transmission that I am running now seems to work great and its stock. It actually feels better than the built one that I tore up. Go figure.

#12 ·
Seems either you have a good one or you don't and mostly dependent on driving.

I'll see how this one does and hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones.

Sounds like the replacement tranny end up being the 6060. I'm sure prices will change later down the road, but whats the cost to do the conversion?

#14 ·
I don't think there's a magic number. I think it's just a matter of time. I've broken my t-56 twice and it's whining again now. 6060 is on the way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.